In an effort to make textile recycling research readily available in one place, below we've compiled links to internal and external resources including scholarly research articles, magazine publications, blog posts, infographics and government statistics reports.
- Its Time to Slow Sown Down the Fast Fashion Industry
- According to the World Bank Group, "The fashion industry is responsible for 10 percent of annual global carbon emissions
- Textile Waste | U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
The EPA's Advancing Sustainable Materials Management: 2014 Fact Sheet includes U.S. textile recycling rates, waste generation numbers, etc.
- Waste Couture: Environmental Impact of the Clothing Industry
Luz Claudio's 2007 article follows the lifecycle of clothing in today's global textile market, encountering fierce competition, pollution, and waste along the way.
- Benefits of Reuse, Case Study: Clothing | WRAP
An expansive 2011 case study researching the environmental and economic benefits of reuse in cotton T-shirts and wool sweaters.
- What Will be the Fate of Your Unwanted Garment? | Flowchart by Alexandra Rose
A useful flowchart for those interested in learning where textiles go based on condition, style and a variety of other factors. Chart created by Alexandra Rose.
- Stone-Washed Blue Jeans (Minus the Washed) | The New York Times
November 2011 NYT piece highlighting Levi Strauss' initiatives to curb water waste in its denim manufacturing & production processes.
- Well Dressed? The present and future sustainability of clothing and textiles in the United Kingdom
This report, published by the Biffaward Programme on Sustainable Resource Use, traces the environmental impact of various types of clothing through their various phases (e.g. material, production, transportation, use, disposal).
- Water Footprint Calculator | National Geographic
National Geographic's Water Footprint Calculator is an excellent interactive tool designed to show just how much water is used or wasted in everyday process or in the manufacturing of common products.
- How Green is My Sneaker? | The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal's interactive infographic traces the environmental impact of a single pair of Levi's 501 jeans.
- The Impact of the Second-hand Clothing Trade on Developing Countries
Oxfam's detailed report on the secondhand clothing trade focusing on West Africa.
- The Beneficial Nature of the Second Hand Clothing Trade in Sub-Saharan Africa
Dr. Simone Fields' report showing the important economic gains from the secondhand clothing trade.
- Textile Recycling: A System Perspective
Jana M. Hawley's overview of the secondhand clothing trade.
- Environmental profile of cotton and polyester-cotton fabric
A Finnish study detailing the environmental impact of cotton versus synthetic fibres, using the the main principles of the life cycle assessment method.
- A Spatially Explicit Life Cycle Inventory of the Global Textile Chain
Julia K. Steinberger's 2009 detailed case study assessing the life cycle of textiles, including scenarios, phases, and energy calculations.
- Life cycle assessment for reuse/recycling of donated waste textiles compared to use of virgin material: An UK energy saving perspective
A 2005 University College Northampton/Salvation Army UK life cycle assessment confirming a reduction in environmental burden through reusing textiles as opposed to purchasing new clothes made from virgin materials.
- Recycling of Footwear Products
SMART's 2007 paper focusing on footwear recovery, recycling and waste.
- Cheap clothing's high cost
A great infographic from The Orange County Register following the path to see where your old clothes may be headed.
- Donate. Recycle. Don't Throw Away (infographic) | SMART
A simple, fun and interesting infographic from the Association of Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles.
- Planet Money's t-shirt project | NPR
NPR's Planet Money conducted a social experiment to follow a cotton t-shirt through its global life, encountering a varying array of people, places and working conditions on the way. Also, check out NPR's three-part radio segment on t-shirt production
- Cities & Towns / Local Government | SMART
This is a Municipality Outreach Document that was created by the SMART Clothing Collection Bin Committee to help educate Cities and Towns about Clothing Collection bins.
- DARA 2010 Climate Vulnerability Monitor Report
The independent humanitarian organization's detailed report on the effects - present and projected - of global warming.
- Climate Change Basics | U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
An excellent resource discussing the basic issues surrounding climate change and global warming, with sub pages containing more detailed analyses.
- Stop Trashing the Planet | GAIA, Eco-Cycle, Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Provides evidence that averting waste and increasing recycling/reuse/composting programs is a cheap and effective way to combat climate change.
- Green Your Halloween: Three Simple "Tricks" to Reduce Waste on Halloween
An info-graphic published for October 2015 highlighting waste and consumption during the popular holiday.
- Halloween: Recycled Infographic
An info-graphic published for October 2014 highlighting waste and consumption during the popular holiday.
- Holiday 2014: Recycled Infographic
An infographic published for December 2014 highlighting waste and consumption from the Thanksgiving to Christmas holiday Season.
- Back-to-School Shopping Infographic
USAgain's infographic posted before the start of the 2012-2013 school year, focusing on just how much Americans spend on back-to-school items, including clothes & shoes.
- Mind Your Waste Infographic
USAgain's own infographic meant to highlight EPA textile recycling data and the results of a nationwide recycling survey.
- World Wide Waste Infographic
This infographic focuses on the environmental impact of a T-shirt in the global market.
- News That You Can Use Again (March 2013)
USAgain's official newspaper, this multi-page PDF features articles and interviews highlighting the positive impact recycling could have on our changing climate.
- The Huffington Post
USAgain CEO Mattias Wallander's monthly articles at The Huffington Post feature important and timely stories, statistics, and information regarding recycling, green living and our textile waste diversion efforts.